Boredom and familiarity can be killers to an active sex life. When you’ve been together for some time, it’s too easy to get into a rut whereby if you do have sex, it tends to be the same old way and place. It can even get to the stage where you end up having an almost sexless marriage, and this is no good for either of you. In order to avoid having a sexless marriage, here are 6 things you can try:
- Have a date night. This might sound cliché, but it really does work. Set time aside to dress up and plan your make-up and hair etc. Make it like it was in the beginning when you had butterflies in your tummy before meeting up. It doesn’t have to be expensive either; just have a meal at home without the kids and take time to talk to each other.
- Pick out some new lingerie. It's easy to get into the habit of just wearing those comfy undies, but getting some sexy lingerie can easily spice things up. And then, show off your new underwear to him…you’ll be amazed at the reaction. Men don’t notice cellulite or stretch marks; they just know that their wife is trying to be sexy for them.
- Men, take note. You don’t need to spend a fortune on a woman to make her feel good. Just let her know that you appreciate what she does for you by maybe leaving her little notes around the house, where you know she will find them when you’ve gone to work. Something along the lines of, “I love it when you…cuddle me in bed/make my evenings special/wrinkle your nose when you laugh.” Anything along those lines will really make her day and show that you notice the little things in life. You will be far more likely to not have a sexless marriage when she knows you appreciate her.
- Notice the things that you do for each other. Do you expect him to remember to put the garbage out without you having to tell him? Do you expect her to always have the laundry done and say thanks for having your favorite shirt clean, dried and ironed and hanging back in your closet, ready to wear? Say “thank you” to each other…this can have a huge impact on whether you feel needed and wanted, rather than just “being there.”
- Along with the last point, saying “please” can also have a huge impact on a sexless marriage. It’s the little things in life that make all the difference. You’ve probably brought your kids up to mind their manners, well the same goes for grown-ups. It can be too easy to just expect things to be done without question.
- Another fun idea is to bring some new sex toys into your relationship to try out together. Trying out a new kind of vibrator, or adding a bondage kit to your bedroom fun can help add some more excitement to your love life.
- And last, but not least, take some time to think about what got you together in the first place. You’ve taken all this time to build a life together, so don’t be one of those couples who give up at the first hurdle. Your marriage wasn’t sexless at the beginning, so make sure that you remember all the special times you’ve had together and don’t ever give up.